Topics covered: Cloudfront,Storage Gateway, Snowball
- Edge Location: this is the location where content is cached and can be used to write too. Separate to an AWS Region/Az. Actually, there are more Edge Locations than AWS regions. EdgeLocation cached files from the origin speeds up delivery to videos, images, etc. Used for S3 Transfer Acceleration.
- Origin can be S3 Bucket, EC2 Instance, ELB or Route53
- Distribution: the name was given to our CDN
- Web distribution: typically used for websites
- RTMP: Used for media streaming
Objects are cached for the life of the TTL (seconds, 24 hours, 86400 by default)
You can clear cached objects, (but you will be charged)
- All data transferred between any type of gateway appliance and AWS storage is encrypted using SSL.
- By default, all data stored by AWS Storage Gateway in S3 is encrypted server-side with Amazon S3-Managed Encryption Keys (SSE-S3).
- Also when using the file gateway, you can optionally configure each file share to have your objects encrypted with AWS KMS-Managed Keys using SSE-KMS.
File Gateway (NFS): Flat files in S3, pdfs, pictures, videos,(stored in S3)
Volume Gateway (iSCSI): virtual hard disk
Gateway-Virtual Tape Library (VTL): backup, create virtual tapes and send to S3.
File Gateway (NFS)
Files stored as objects in s3 Bucket accessed through an NFS. Ownership, permissions, timestamps durably stored in S3. Once files are transferred to S3, they can be managed as native S3 objects, and bucket policies such as versioning, lifecycle management, cross-region replication, etc
Volume Gateway (iSCSI)
Virtual Hard Disks presented at on-premises via iSCSI and you backup them to S3. Data written to these volumes can be asynchronously backed up as point-in-time snapshots of your volumes and stored as EBS snapshots. Snapshots are incremental.
Let you store your primary data locally while asynchronously backing up that data to AWS. Low latency access to their entire datasets, with durable backups. Data written to your stored volumes is stored on your on-premises storage hardware. This data is backed up to AWS S3 in the form of EBS Snapshots.
Lets you use S3 as your primary data storage while retaining frequently accessed data locally in your storage gateway. Most recent data is on-premises storage hardware. Old data is in S3. Cached volumes offer substantial cost savings on primary storage and minimize the need to scale your storage on-premises.
Supported by NetBackup, Backup Exec, Veaam, etc. Instead of having physical tapes, you have virtual tapes.
Old service was Import/Export
ReInvent 2015 announced
You send your own disks
Snowball is petabyte-scale data transport that uses secure appliances to transfer large amounts of data into AWS.
AWS Snowball device costs less than AWS Snowball Edge
Up to 80 TB
Snowball in all regions.
TPM standard industry.
Transferring data is simple, fast, secure and cheap. Once the data transfer job has been processed and verified, AWS performs a software erasure of Snowball Appliance.
100 TB transfer device with on board storage and compute capabilities.
To move into and out of AWS, temporary storage tier for large local datasets.
SnowBall AWS datacenter in a box
Is a truck container.
100 PetaBytes. Massive volumes of data to the cloud. Only US.
Datacenter migration to AWS